The Postal Service reminds employees to be on the lookout for youngsters playing in streets, parking lots and driveways now that schools are closed for the summer.
Here are some things to remember when you’re around children on the move:
- Whenever you see a ball rolling in the street, you’re likely to see a child following it. Slow down and prepare to stop quickly.
- If an ice cream vendor enters a neighborhood, watch for children coming from all directions.
- Pay attention to any lone child walking along the street. You’re much more likely to overlook a single youngster than several together.
- Be extremely alert around children and others on roller skates, skateboards or roller blades, as they can roll into the street.
- Bicyclists, especially young or novice riders, should be watched carefully and given plenty of room.
- Never give mail to children from inside your vehicle.
More safety topics are available in the online Safety Toolkit.