Everyone 6 months of age and older should get a flu vaccine every season, the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) recommends.
Flu season runs from October-May. All Federal Employees Health Benefits (FEHB) plans cover flu shots at no cost to you.
Social contact can spread the flu. Symptoms include high fever, chills, fatigue and nausea. Complications can lead to serious ailments.
To prevent contracting or spreading the flu, take the following steps:
- Avoid close contact with people who are ill.
- If possible, stay home when you’re ill.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water or alcohol-based hand sanitizers.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth.
- Fortify your immune system by getting plenty of sleep, drinking fluids and eating nutritious food.
The CDC site’s flu section has more information.