Highland Park, IL, Letter Carrier Joanna O’Donnell was delivering mail recently when she approached a townhouse and smelled gas.
When O’Donnell knocked on the door and didn’t get a response, she notified the complex manager and continued on her route.
The manager alerted the fire department, which evacuated the community. Firefighters then shut off the gas leak while the manager fixed a broken pipe.
The homeowner said if O’Donnell hadn’t intervened, a spark could have caused an explosion. “Joanna is an outstanding human being,” the homeowner said.