Scammers and hackers make it their priority to try to steal your money and personal information.
To help consumers identify and avoid online and mail scams, the CyberSafe at USPS team and the Postal Inspection Service offer these tips:
- Always safeguard your online identity and personal information.
- Screen incoming calls and block unwanted contact from telemarketers.
- Reduce unsolicited marketing attempts by opting out of pre-approved credit offers.
- Before opening emails, confirm the address or the name of the sender is an acquaintance.
- Be wary of email messages that require “immediate action” or request personal information.
- Before clicking a hyperlink or attachment, hover over the URL to validate it.
The Delivering Trust site also has tips on avoiding common scams, including foreign lotteries and sweepstakes.
Contact the Cybersecurity Operations Center to report suspicious emails at CyberSafe@usps.gov.