USPS reminds employees to prepare for hurricane season, which began this month and continues through Nov. 30.
Most coastal areas, including the Caribbean and Pacific, are subject to hurricanes. The storms can cause high winds, heavy rain, flooding and other dangerous conditions.
Take these steps to prepare:
- Complete a personal preparedness plan that includes a household inventory and the location of important family documents. Share copies with relatives or friends.
- Store enough food and water to last at least three days. One gallon of drinking water per person per day is recommended.
- Prepare your home for hurricane force winds or flooding.
- Prepare a first-aid kit and make plans for pets.
- Know your community’s hurricane plans, including evacuation routes.
- Keep contact information current using a physical address — not a PO Box and mobile telephone number. Go to LiteBlue and update your address if necessary.
- If a hurricane is expected, call the USPS National Employee Emergency Hotline (888-363-7462) for work schedule or reporting time change information.