Flooding is the most common natural disaster in the United States and can happen anywhere.
To stay safe, experts offer these tips:
- Know your flood risk. Learn whether you live, work or travel through areas that are prone to flooding.
- Know how to stay informed, such as signing up for phone text alerts. Receiving timely information about weather conditions or other emergency events can make all the difference in knowing when to take action to be safe.
- Know your community’s local flood evacuation plan and identify several escape routes if roads are blocked.
- Do not go through flood waters.
- Determine how you will communicate with family members since your first thoughts will likely be the safety of your family and friends. Practice how you will communicate with each other. Texting is often faster than making a phone call.