The Postal Service is reminding employees to drive safely during the winter, a time of year that presents unique challenges.
Here are some tips:
Keep vehicles in good working order. Maintain good tread on your tires and ensure all lights are functioning properly. Add anti-freeze and windshield wiper fluid when needed.
• Leave early. Rushing can lead to accidents. Leaving a few minutes early can give you extra time to reach your destination.
• Maintain good visibility. Keep windows, headlights and your hood and roof clear of ice and snow.
• Stay alert and calm. Maintain a safe speed for road conditions and drive defensively.
• Drive appropriately for road conditions. Driving on wet or icy roads can cause your vehicle to slide. If you begin to lose control, take your foot off the gas. Instead, stomp on anti-lock brakes or pump regular brakes.
• Keep a safe distance. Increase your safe following distance and look farther ahead in traffic than you normally do.
• Wear seatbelts. Seatbelts can reduce the risk of crash injuries by 50 percent, statistics show.