Have you gotten your flu shot?
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends individuals 6 months of age and older get a flu vaccine each year.
All Federal Employees Health Benefits (FEHB) plans cover flu shots at no cost to you.
The CDC also encourages people to learn more about the flu, which is spread through social contact.
Symptoms include high fever, chills, fatigue and nausea. Complications can lead to serious ailments.
To prevent contracting or spreading the flu, take the following steps:
- Avoid close contact with people who are ill.
- If possible, stay home when you’re ill.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water or alcohol-based hand sanitizers.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth.
- Fortify your immune system by getting plenty of sleep, drinking fluids and eating nutritious food.
The CDC site’s flu section has additional guidelines. The Health Plan Tools LiteBlue page has information about other services your health plan provides at no out-of-pocket cost to you.