The Postal Service has one of the world’s largest computer networks, making communication between thousands of facilities, employees and systems possible. But how much do you know about USPS information technology? Here are some byte-sized bits, courtesy of Postal Facts.
1. USPS handles a lot of email. The corporate email system handles more than 12 million legitimate emails that are delivered daily to more than 214,000 USPS email accounts.
2. There’s a lot of hardware, too. More than 168,000 computers, 81,000 printers and 310,000 scanners are supported and maintained.
3. And don’t forget the meetings! Almost 105,000 meetings are hosted online per month, representing more than 32 million minutes of conference time.
4. Some messages come from space. More than 570 remote postal system locations receive network connectivity via satellite.
5. The Postal Service’s digital storage capacity: 35 petabytes. That’s the equivalent of playing more than 88,700 years’ worth of songs on an MP3 player with no repeats.
Got ideas for future editions of “The list”? Email them to email@example.com.