Reminder: USPS wants employees to be prepared for hurricane season, which runs from June 1-Nov. 30 each year.
Most coastal areas are subject to hurricanes. The storms can cause high winds, heavy rain, flooding and other dangerous conditions.
Take these steps to prepare:
• Complete a personal preparedness plan that includes a household inventory and the location of important family documents. Share copies with relatives or friends.
• Store enough food and water to last at least three days. One gallon of drinking water per person, per day is recommended.
• Prepare your home for hurricane force winds or flooding.
• Prepare a first-aid kit and make plans for pets.
• Know your community’s hurricane plans, including evacuation routes.
• Keep contact information current using a physical address — not a PO Box and mobile telephone number. Go to LiteBlue and update your address if necessary.
If a hurricane is expected, call the USPS National Employee Emergency Hotline (888-363-7462) for work schedule or reporting time change information.