The Postal Service wants employees to remember that snow and icy conditions during the winter increase the likelihood of slips, trips and falls.
To avoid these types of accidents — which can result in pain, injury and lost productivity — proper footwear with good treads is essential.
Here are some other tips:
• Wear grippers (ice cleats).
• Walk with care and take short steps.
• Only finger mail when it is safe to do so.
• Take extra precautions when entering and exiting your vehicle.
• Use handrails on steps.
• Wait for vehicles to stop completely on snow or ice-covered roadways before crossing the street.
The Safety Blue page has additional on-the-job tips.