The Postal Service wants employees to take precautions when walking in winter weather.
Snowy and icy conditions increase the likelihood of slips, trips and falls that could result in pain, injury and lost productivity. To avoid these accidents, employees should follow these tips:
• Wear proper footwear with good tread and grippers (ice cleats);
• Walk with care and take short steps;
• Only finger mail when it is safe to do so;
• Take extra precautions when entering and exiting your vehicle;
• Use handrails on steps; and
• Wait for vehicles to stop completely on snow- or ice-covered roadways before crossing a street.
The Safety Blue page has more information, including Safety Depends on Me videos on working in winter weather.