The USPS Health and Wellness team wants to help employees have a safe, healthy holiday season.
Here are some tips:
• Follow coronavirus pandemic safety protocols.Wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds to prevent the spread of germs. Continue adhering to social distancing guidelines and wearing face coverings.
•Stay safe outdoors and on the road.During cold weather, dress warmly with appropriate outdoor clothing and layers. Don’t drink and drive or let others drink and drive. Fasten seat belts while driving or riding in a vehicle.
• Mind your physical and mental health.Be smoke-free; avoid smoking and secondhand smoke. Stay up to date with vaccinations, screenings and medical exams. Manage stress by taking breaks, getting rest and finding ways to connect socially.
• Practice fire safety.Most fires occur during the winter, so don’t leave fireplaces, space heaters, stoves and ovens or candles unattended. Create an emergency plan and practice it regularly.
• Prepare food safely.Remember these four steps: Wash hands and surfaces often, avoid cross-contamination, cook foods to proper temperatures and refrigerate foods quickly.
• Eat healthy.Load up on fruits and vegetables and limit portion sizes and foods high in fat, salt and sugar.
• Stay active.Adults need at least 2 1/2 hours of physical activity a week, and children and teens need at least one hour of physical activity every day.