USPS is reminding postal facilities to properly manage equipment containing refrigerants, in accordance with regulatory requirements.
Refrigerant-containing equipment includes chillers, air conditioners, fire suppression systems, drinking fountains, refrigerators and freezers.
Never vent or otherwise release refrigerants into the atmosphere.
Refrigerants, refrigerant-containing equipment and cylinders must be disposed of properly.
Other refrigerant management requirements include:
• Maintaining required documentation
• Investigating refrigerant leaks and repairing leaking equipment
• Managing refrigerant storage cylinders properly
• Completing required training
• Obtaining Environmental Protection Agency technician certification
Training, handling, record-keeping and disposal requirements apply to both postal employees and contractors performing maintenance on USPS equipment that contains refrigerants.
The Environmental Affairs and Corporate Sustainability Blue page has additional information.