A customer in Chino, CA, whose house recently caught fire had thankful words for the Postal Service employee who saved it from destruction.
The woman was at home with her 4-year-old granddaughter when an exterior electrical panel ignited.
The smoke and flames caught the attention of City Carrier Assistant Daniel Ochoa, who was delivering mail nearby and rushed to the scene.
Once he determined that the customer and child were safe, he grabbed buckets outside, filled them with water from the backyard swimming pool and doused the flames.
The woman later contacted the local Post Office, pointing out that emergency responders praised Ochoa for extinguishing the fire before it reached an attic vent near the electrical panel, which would have been disastrous.
“My entire family is so very grateful for his public act of kindness and bravery,” she said.