Douglas Cox, Hudsonville, MI

Hudsonville, MI, Letter Carrier Douglas Cox

A gas stove burner left on for three days recently at a condominium complex might have led to disaster were it not for the intervention of Hudsonville, MI, Letter Carrier Douglas Cox.

The postal employee called 911 and contacted the condo maintenance staffer after smelling gas while delivering mail.

Firefighters located the stove and determined that even a single spark could have caused an explosion.

The condo worker later visited the Hudsonville Post Office to express his gratitude for Cox’s actions.

Employees featured in “Heroes’ Corner” also receive letters of commendation through the Postmaster General Heroes’ Program. The nomination form is available on Blue.