When Letter Carrier Jason Moss recently spotted a fire while delivering mail on his longtime route in Tampa, FL, he knew instantly that there was much more than a customer’s home in jeopardy: The disabled, bedbound resident’s life was in immediate danger.
Moss sprang into action to save the 68-year-old man, removing screens from a window in an attempt to access the house, but the smoke was too thick to safely proceed.
Police units soon arrived ahead of firefighters, and a sergeant had breathing equipment he could use in order to enter the home and move the man to the window, where Moss and several officers pulled him to safety.
“It’s a life. You can’t just walk away,” the Postal Service employee told the local ABC station.
The customer’s two dogs were also rescued from the blaze, which destroyed the home.
Investigators determined that a faulty air conditioner likely started the fire.