Letter Carrier Mary Smith was recently delivering mail in a Marion, OH, neighborhood when she detected the odor of gas at an older customer’s residence.
Smith knocked on the woman’s door and urged her to contact the gas company.
Several days later, the customer told Smith that utility workers had discovered gas leaking from the hot water heater in the basement, creating an imminent risk of explosion.
The woman had been immediately evacuated from her home until safe conditions were restored. She expressed gratitude for Smith’s potentially life-saving intervention.