Rural Carrier Sandra Olson was recently delivering a package to a customer in Wakefield, MI, when she detected a strong odor of gas.
Olson didn’t get an answer when she knocked on the customer’s door, so she alerted a neighbor and contacted the local fire department.
Firefighters soon arrived, found the customer napping and measured dangerous levels of gas and carbon monoxide inside the residence.
The customer was moved to a safe location while repairs were made.
“The situation shows how much an attentive carrier can make a difference,” said Wakefield Postmaster Drew Tikkanen.