Rural Carrier Allyssa Tones had just finished her day recently at the Perry, NY, Post Office when she spotted smoke billowing from the second floor of a building that houses a bowling alley downstairs and apartments upstairs.
Tones — who also works part time at the bowling alley — pulled over and rushed to the scene, where she alerted around eight people of the danger.
“None of us knew inside,” business co-owner Brett Duser told the Livingston County News. “I made everybody get out.”
Firefighters soon arrived to battle the blaze, which caused extensive damage and rendered the apartments unlivable.
An electrical malfunction was suspected to have caused the fire.
No one was injured.