City Carrier Assistant Dayton Ngo was recently delivering mail to a four-unit apartment building in Scottsville, NY, when he encountered a life-threatening emergency.
At the main entrance, Ngo found the hallway filled with smoke, so he immediately rushed to pound on all the apartment doors to ensure that everyone in the building knew of the imminent danger.
While a customer evacuated the building and called 911, Ngo led other residents to safety outside.
Firefighters soon arrived and discovered that food was burning after being left unattended in a kitchen.
“Customers were so thankful that Dayton was there at that time and averted a much worse outcome,” said Scottsville Postmaster Tammy Kelley.