Carrier Technician Joshua Cirrito was recently delivering mail in a Williamsville, NY, neighborhood when he spotted smoke and flames billowing from a residence.
Cirrito rushed to the front door, banged on it and rang the bell until the homeowners — an older couple — answered, unaware they were in danger.
At a safe distance from the home, the Postal Service employee helped the customers call the fire department and comforted them until responders arrived to battle the blaze, caused by a faulty attic fan that had ignited the roof.
“Fire department officials reported that Josh’s heroism and quick actions saved the entire home from a loss and potentially saved lives,” said local Customer Services Manager Robert Sinnott.
“This proves once again that the Postal Service is a vital part of every neighborhood in ways that extend beyond mail service.”