The Postal Inspection Service is reminding letter carriers and other USPS employees to be vigilant and safe during the holidays.
The Inspection Service’s tips include:
- Avoid becoming a target. Don’t display mobile devices, avoid wearing jewelry and minimize the amount of cash you carry.
- Stay alert by being aware of your surroundings. Avoid wearing headphones to better hear surrounding sounds.
- Watch for deliveries to vacant homes or addressed to names of individuals not associated with that address. Criminals might be committing identity theft and using mail to transport illegal items.
- Never leave mail, packages and personal property in plain sight inside your postal vehicle. Keep personal property in your vehicle out of sight also.
- Secure all locks on your postal vehicle, including any cargo screen doors. Also, never leave your vehicle running and unattended.
The Inspection Service’s informational sheet has additional holiday safety tips.