The Postal Inspection Service is offering letter carriers and other employees some safety tips for the holiday delivery season:
• Avoid becoming a target. Don’t display mobile phones or other electronic devices while on your route. Avoid wearing jewelry and minimize the amount of cash you carry.
• Stay alert. Don’t wear headphones so you can hear what’s happening around you.
• Be aware. If you are being followed, immediately leave the area and contact your supervisor.
• Stay cautious. Beware of deliveries to vacant homes or individuals not associated with an address. Criminals use identity theft to transport illegal items by mail.
• Never leave mail and packages in plain view inside your vehicle. Keep personal property in your vehicle out of sight also.
• Secure your vehicles. Lock your postal vehicle, including the cargo screen door. Never leave your vehicle running and unattended.
An informational sheet, posted on LiteBlue, has additional tips.