Letter Carrier Bonnie Enabnit was recently delivering mail in Lake City, IA, when she smelled smoke and heard an alarm going off inside a home where renovation work was being done.
Enabnit immediately alerted a neighbor and called 911.
Firefighters soon arrived and discovered that gloves placed on top of a space heater had started a fire in a bathroom.
The blaze was promptly extinguished.
“Bonnie’s quick reaction and good judgment absolutely prevented this house from being destroyed and kept nearby residences safe,” said Lake City Postmaster Mark Kramer.